cooking is my hobby

Cooking is my hobby, I would like to share recipes that I have tried and that were a success. I hope that others will want to share their best recipes with me as well.

Friday, September 23, 2011

Crab Rice Cheese Casserole Recipe

Ingredients

1/2 teaspoon salt
3 cups water
1 1/2 cups uncooked rice
3 tablespoons flour
1/4 cup (1/8 lb.) butter, melted
1 cup milk
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
Pepper
1/2 cup sherry or dry white wine
2 hard-cooked eggs, diced
1/2 pound (or more) crab meat
Shredded Cheddar cheese
Pimiento strips (optional)

Directions

Bring salted water to a boil in a heavy pan with lid.
Add rice, cover, decrease heat, and steam for 15 minutes.
(Do not uncover during cooking!) Meanwhile, prepare cheese sauce as follows: Stir flour into melted butter.
Gradually add milk and cook while stirring with a whisk until mixture is thick.
Add the 1 cup cheese and stir until cheese is melted.
Taste and add more salt if needed (also pepper and other seasoning if desired).
Remove from heat and stir in wine.
Combine rice, sauce, diced eggs, and crab meat.
Place in buttered casserole dish (about 2-quart size) and cover with a little more shredded Cheddar cheese.
Decorate top with pimiento strips.
Bake 30 minutes in moderate oven (350°).
Cook longer if you prefer a more crusty effect.
Makes 4 to 6 servings.
I have to work this Saturday I am not on the schedule until the 24 then not until October 1.  I wish that I could get more hours.  As my friend Jeff says "It's all about Jesus"  He is in control not me.  Thank goodness!!

1 comment: