cooking is my hobby

Cooking is my hobby, I would like to share recipes that I have tried and that were a success. I hope that others will want to share their best recipes with me as well.

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Cheesy Ham 'n' Rice Soup


Prep/Total Time: 30 min. YIELD: 12



Ingredients

 4 celery ribs, chopped
 1 large onion, chopped

  1/4 cup butter, cubed
 4 medium carrots, shredded

 1/3 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 cups half-and-half cream

 8 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
4 cups cooked wild rice (I cooked 1 cup rice 4 cups water)

 3 cups cubed fully cooked ham
2-2/3 cups cooked brown rice (I cooked 1 cup rice 2 cups water I also used instant rice)
3 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules

  8 cups water
Slivered almonds, optional (I did not have almonds)

Directions

1. In a large saucepan, saute celery and onion in butter until tender. Add carrots; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes. In a large kettle or Dutch oven, combine the flour, salt and pepper. Gradually stir in cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
2. Remove from the heat; stir in cheese until melted. Stir in the wild rice, ham, brown rice, bouillon, celery mixture and water. Return to a boil. Sprinkle with almonds if desired.

This was very good!!! We have leftovers.
Dan is home and doing well.  Still in some pain.  Taking pain pills.  Don has stayed with us since Sunday.  Will probably go home today.  God has softened my heart towards him and I am very glad.  I feel much better within myself.  Thank you Jesus.

I have to work tomorrow.  So Dan will be on his own.  I think that he will enjoy the peace and quiet.  I always have music/tv or something going on.  I can’t stand quiet unless I am reading.
Dan’s Mon went back to New Orleans.  Came back last night.  She had a nice trip.  If I went back it would be to see our friends Darrell an Zavilla.  Seeing the tourist stuff once was enough for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment