cooking is my hobby

Cooking is my hobby, I would like to share recipes that I have tried and that were a success. I hope that others will want to share their best recipes with me as well.

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

SPICY CABBAGE, BEEF, AND RICE

Preparation time: 20 minutes. Cook: 35 minutes. Serves: 6.
1 lb. lean ground beef
1 lb. smoked beef sausage links, cut up
1 c. long-grain white rice
1 med. green bell pepper, chopped
1 med. onion, chopped
1 3/4 c. water
1 (10 oz.) can diced tomatoes and green chilies
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. cayenne
1 med. head green cabbage, chopped

1. In a 5-quart Dutch oven, cook beef over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until meat loses its pink color, 5 to 7 minutes. Drain off any fat. 2. Add sausage and rice. Cook, stirring, until rice turns translucent, about 1 1/2 minutes.
3. Stir in green pepper and onion and cook 1 minute. Stir in water, tomatoes, with their liquid, salt, and cayenne. Heat to boiling.
4. Spread cabbage over meat mixture. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 20 minutes. Stir cabbage down into dish and cook 5 minutes longer, or until rice is tender.
Any recipes that have beef in them we switch it out for pork.  This recipe was easy to make.  I used Cole slaw instead of buying a half a head of cabbage.  We used green onion instead of yellow.  This is the second time that we have had this.
Katie is coming over today.  Looking forward to having a nice girls day.
Dan got his Christmas presents yesterday two cd and three book.  He was excited to get them.  He going to check out the Edward Hamilton catalogue for now on.  That will help for getting him Christmas gifts and for birthday gifts.

3 comments:

  1. I just finished making this. I overlooked the cayenne pepper, so I didn't get any. After it cools, I am going to put it in the freezer in small containers. I will let you know how it tastes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried it and I decided to add tater tots and really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to se that you are making these your own

      Delete