cooking is my hobby

Cooking is my hobby, I would like to share recipes that I have tried and that were a success. I hope that others will want to share their best recipes with me as well.

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Pork in Olive Oil Marinade


PREP 15 MINS COOK IN 10 MIN'S READY IN 25 MIN'S SERVES 4

2 tablespoons olive oil
 1 1/2 pounds pork tenderloin, cut into bite-size pieces
 2 cloves garlic, minced
 4 sprigs fresh cilantro, chopped
 3 tablespoons olive oil
 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
 2 tablespoons port wine
1 pinch salt
1 pinch black pepper
1 pinch cayenne pepper

Directions
1. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large heavy skillet over high heat. Saute pork until evenly browned, and fully cooked. Transfer to a bowl, and sprinkle with cilantro and garlic; keep warm.

2. In a small bowl, combine 3 tablespoons olive oil, vinegar and port. Season with salt, black pepper, and cayenne. Whisk until consistency is creamy. Stir into cooked pork, and serve immediately.
This was good.  It didn’t take much time to fix.

South African Yellow Rice

PREP 10 Min's COOK 35 Mins READY IN 45 Mns  SERVES 4

1 cup long grain white rice
 1/2 teaspoon salt
 1 1/2 teaspoons ground turmeric
 3 tablespoons white sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
 1/2 cup black raisins
 1 tablespoon butter
 2 1/2 cups water

Directions
1. In a saucepan, combine the rice, salt, turmeric, sugar, cinnamon, raisins, butter and water. Bring to a boil uncovered. When it comes to a boil, reduce the heat to low, cover and let it simmer for 20 to 30 minutes, or until rice is fluffy and water has been absorbed. Remove from the heat and fluff with a fork. Keep warm until serving time.

This was very good.  Not used to having raisins in my rice.  I used the golden raisins.  They were what I had on hand.

Aromatic Asparagus
PREP 15 Min's Cook 30 Min's Ready In 45 Min's Serves 4

2 tablespoons butter
1/2 pound asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
 2 cups milk
 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
 1/2 cup water
 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
 1/4 teaspoon dried sage
 salt to taste

Directions

1. Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in asparagus and cook 5 minutes.
2. Sprinkle flour over asparagus, and toss to coat. Mix milk, vegetable broth and water into saucepan. Stir in Parmesan cheese, thyme, sage and salt. Cook 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve warm.

This turned out to be a soup!!!  I had no idea!!  It was good though.  I love asparagus!!

I was able to get hold of some old neighbors that I used to know when I was a kid!! It has been fun getting to know Leona Deraitus.  Feels funny calling her by her first name.  Always used to call her Mrs. Deraitus.  I am hoping to be able to talk to Michael and find out what he has been up to all these years.  I am so glad to hear that Beth has been well!!  It has felt like old home week. 
Planning on going down to see Tom and Velva in June.  I want to go and see them before it gets to hot. 

It has been a year since Velva has had cancer!!  So glad that she is doing well.

No comments:

Post a Comment