cooking is my hobby

Cooking is my hobby, I would like to share recipes that I have tried and that were a success. I hope that others will want to share their best recipes with me as well.

Monday, March 12, 2012

TOMATO MINESTRONE SOUP WITH GARLIC BREAD CROUTONS

Serves 4

Ingredients

  • 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
  • 1/4 pound pancetta or thick-cut prosciutto, finely chopped (optional)
  • 1 pound zucchini, cut into strips lengthwise (discarding the seedy centers), then cut into small pieces
  • 2 ribs celery with leafy tops, finely chopped
  • 1 small carrot, finely chopped
  • 1 onion, finely chopped
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped, divided
  • Salt and pepper
  • 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock (32 ounces)
  • One can cannellini beans (15 ounces), rinsed
  • One can tomato puree or crushed tomatoes (15 ounces)
  • 1/4 pound whole wheat penne or other short-cut pasta
  • A handful of basil, torn into pieces
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 4 thick slices Italian bread
  • About 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
  • Finely chopped parsley, for garnish

Preparation

In a soup pot, heat the EVOO, a couple of turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the pancetta or prosciutto, if using, and cook until browned, a couple of minutes. Add the zucchini, celery, carrot, onion, bay leaf and 2 cloves garlic; season with salt and pepper. Cook until the vegetables are tender, 7-8 minutes.
Pre-heat the broiler and position a rack in the middle of the oven.

Stir the chicken stock, beans and tomatoes into the soup and bring to a boil. Add the pasta and cook to al dente. Stir in the basil and lower the heat to low.
Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt the butter over low heat. Add in the remaining 1 clove garlic and swirl for a minute or so; remove from the heat.
Broil the bread on both sides until lightly toasted. Brush the bread with the garlic butter and sprinkle with the cheese and parsley. Broil to melt the cheese. Serve the soup in shallow bowls, each topped with a crouton.
They soup was very good.  I did not like the Parmesan on the bread.  Since Fred Meyer does not have French bread we have used Italian bread instead and Dan and I like it a lot.
Two more days until our trip!!
I guess I will find out when I get back If Catlin and Penny are supervisor/lead or not.  I hope that they get the positions.
Mom is in the hospital.  Her asthma is acting up again.  I guess that she gave Mark and John hell for not calling and visiting her!!  You go Mom!!!:)  Hopefully she will get to go home on Wednesday.
Jackie and Scott went on a needed vacation.  Every one should have time off just to hang.
Went to my eye doctor today.  Because my insurance is a HMO I needed to get a referral.  I did not no this, so, I had to reschedule the appointment. A long bus ride for nothing.  
I guess when I get back I will have a lot of emails.  Pops sends me a lot of stuff.  I will be getting back at him though for every email he sends me he will get "I am on vacation" lol !!:)

No comments:

Post a Comment